Our resident chef Vinnie, is sharing a great Summer recipe. Beef Salad with Basil Sauce
This is a great easy and refreshing Summer salad taken from our friends at “Simply Beef and Lamb” who are part of one of our industry bodies. If you love your steak then you will how these flavours have been paired. Enjoy!
- 2 sirloin or rump steaks
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 large bag watercress or salad leaves
- 1 x 25g pack fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or English mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare the sauce; place the basil, garlic, lemon juice and mustard into a food processor or blender. Blend together to a rough paste, then with the motor still running add the olive oil in a steady trickle until thick. Transfer to a small bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- Season the steaks, brush with the oil and cook the steaks on a preheated griddle pan, under a preheated grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference. Transfer to a warm plate and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Pile the salad leaves on to a serving plate. Slice the steaks diagonally, adding any meat juices to the sauce. Toss the strips in the salad and drizzle with the sauce.
For a bit of a kick, add 2 red chilli (deseeded) to the salad leaves.
You can also add 10g of coriander to the basil for more Asian flavour.