Our resident chef Vinnie, has shared another of his mouthwatering recipes below, and this one is Beer Braised Brisket.
This is a great slow cooked dish that can be left to cook whilst you get on with the day (or the home schooling!) using a cut of meat that many of you love to eat. Another winter warmer.
- 2kg beef brisket
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 375ml can beer
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. / Gas 4 or bottom right oven on AGA.
- Season the beef brisket with salt and place in a roasting tray. Cover the entire piece of meat with onion slices.
- In a bowl mix together the beer, brown sugar, beef stock cube, pepper, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Pour over the roast. Cover with foil.
- Roast for 4 hours in the preheated oven until the brisket is fork-tender
- Mix together the cornflour and water then stir into the juices that are in the roasting tray to thicken. Remove the bay leaf. Slice and serve the meat.
If you want to make the meal go further then add sliced peppers or mushrooms around 1hr before the end of the cooking
You can serve with new potatoes and seasonal veg or a wonderful cheese mash on the side!